When it comes to flea and tick season it is always important to be on top of these tiny, annoying creatures. Not only are they annoying but can cause health problems from mild to serious cases.
Here is some information on information to get a head start on these unwanted creatures.
What are Fleas?
Fleas are these small insects that feed off the blood of mammals and birds as a food source. They sometimes can transmit diseases through bites that can be harmful to mammals health. Fleas have also become an all year round issue which is why it is important to get your pet treated.
Warning signs of fleas
There are some warning signs that you can look out for which can tell you that your pet might have fleas. Some of them include:
- Flea droppings on the fur
- Flea eggs in the fur
- Licking and scratching
- Scabs or hot spots on the skin
How does your pet get Fleas?
There are many ways that your pet can get fleas and, unfortunately, there is no way of avoiding these creatures; however, there are ways that you can protect your pet from catching them.
Some ways your pet can catch fleas include:
- Being exposed to the outdoors
- During warm weather in the summer and spring seasons
- Not getting treated
- By being around wooden areas
What are the risks of Fleas?
- Allergies – a lot of pets are allergic with the presence of fleas and can cause itching which can cause scabs or bumps which can be painful and lead to an infection
- Tapeworms – tapeworm eggs are ingested by fleas and if your pet happens to eat a flea that is infected it can develop into an adult worm within the intestine of your pet
- Anemia – is the loss of blood which can cause pale gums, weakness and lethargy
Prevention of Fleas
The best way to protect your pet is to prevent them from getting attacked by fleas. There are number of things you can do as prevention’s. For example, vacuuming frequently to clean up any immature fleas that may have entered the home and washing your pet’s bedding in hot water.
But the best and most effective way of demolishing fleas is using medications like Frontline. Frontline will not only kill your pet’s fleas but will also prevent them from coming back again. It is easy to use and effective.
What are Ticks?
Ticks are not insects like fleas, but they do belong to the spider family. They are these nasty creatures that attach to your pets and feed off of them until they are filled up with blood. They can cause infections and carry diseases that can lead to health problems not only for them but you as well.
They are mostly present in the summer because they are attracted to the warm weather but can be found all year around.
There are some warning signs that you can look out for which can tell you that your pet might have ticks.
Some of them include:
- Loss of appetite
- Sudden onset of pain in their leg or body
- Swelling in your pet joints
How does your pet get Ticks?
There are many ways that your pet can get ticks and, unfortunately, there is no way of avoiding these creatures; however, there are ways that you can protect your pet from catching them.
Some ways your pet can catch ticks include:
- If they get bitten by a tick
- Running around outside
- Surrounded by warm and dry weather
- Not getting treated
What are the risks of Ticks?
- Allergic reactions: This can cause irritation which may cause your pet to scratch and lick themselves and can cause infections and inflammation
- Babesiosis: This can cause fever, loss of appetite, shock, coma and even death just after less than a day of getting bitten
- Ehrichiosis: A blood disease that can attach to your pet’s white blood cells which can harm their immune system. Causing fever, depression, weight loss, and loss of appetite and bleeding.
Prevention of Ticks
The best way to protect your pet is to prevent them from getting attacked by ticks. There are number of things you can do as prevention’s. For instance, by cleaning up your garden by removing tick habitats by clipping tall grass and bushes.
In addition, when playing with your pet outdoors avoid places that have tall grasses or brush because the ticks are usually hiding in those areas.
But the best and most effective way of demolishing ticks is using medications like Frontline. Frontline will not only kill your pet’s ticks but will also prevent them from coming back again. It is easy to use and effective.
However, if you continue to have concerns you can always visit your veterinarian.